Seminar "Probabilistic Models for Information Extraction", Summer '11
Dr. Martin Theobald,
M.Sc. Maximilian Dylla
Contents of the Seminar
The seminar focuses on probabilistic models which are commonly used in the context of information extraction tasks, such as named-entity recognition, part-of-speech tagging, co-reference resolution, and statistical parsing.
The probabilistic models we cover in the seminar include Hidden Markov Models (HMMs), Conditional Random Fields (CRFs), Constrained Conditional Models (CCMs), Markov Logic Networks (MLNs) and related techniques. Talks will be based on recent research papers in this field.
(Books can be borrowed from the campus library or directly from us.)
Requirements for the Certificate
- Attendance of the talks is mandatory. If you are feeling ill, please let us know in advance by writing a short email. You can skip one day without a formal excuse.
- The duration of the talks should be 45 minutes. The talks will be followed by a 15-minute discussion.
- Both the slides and the presentation itself must be in English.
- Four weeks after the talk, a written report is due. Avoid copying material from the papers or other sources.
- Schedule a first appointment with your tutor to go through your topic already a few weeks in advance. You are responsible for scheduling the meetings with your tutor.
- The chair of a talk is responsible for introducing the speaker, moderating the questions, and for preparing a few questions of her or his own about the talk.
- Read also the papers you are not presenting yourselves and actively take part in the discussions.
Papers & Talks
- Thursday, 12.05.2011
16:15: Stephan Max (tutor: Maximilian Dylla, chair: Manuel Noll)
- Thursday, 19.05.2011
16:15: Dat Ba Nguyen (tutor: Martin Theobald, chair: Natalia Prytkova)
- Thursday, 26.05.2011
16:15: Bibek Paudel (tutor: Maximilian Dylla, chair: Juan Gaviria)
- Thursday, 09.06.2011
16:15: Niket Tandon (tutor: Martin Theobald, chair: Olga Mykytiuk)
17:15: Besnik Fetahu (tutor: Martin Theobald, chair: Stephan Max)
- Thursday, 16.06.2011
16:15: Aliaksandr Talaika (tutor: Martin Theobald, chair: Dat Ba Nguyen)
- Thursday, 30.06.2011
16:15: Artem Boldyrev (tutor: Martin Theobald, chair: Bibek Paudel)
- Thursday, 07.07.2011
16:15: Benedict Fehringer (tutor: Maximilian Dylla, chair: Niket Tandon)
17:15: Manuel Noll (tutor: Maximilian Dylla, chair: Besnik Fetahu)
- Thursday, 14.07.2011
16:15: Natalia Prytkova (tutor: Maximilian Dylla, chair: Aliaksandr Talaika)
- Thursday, 21.07.2011
16:15: Olga Mykytiuk (tutor: Martin Theobald, chair: Benedict Fehringer)